Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Blog, I am neglecting you

I have a 5k on Saturday, so I was kinda excited to do today's VO2 Max run of 8 miles w/ 5x600 at 5k pace. I mapped out an old course on mapmyrun that would end up at the track. Fleet Feet is about 1/4 mile from the track and I needed some more gels, hence my motivation to get away from home and my usual route. Because I couldn't decide whether to park my car at Fleet Feet and start the run from there or park at the school and run a little more, I ended up running a full 7 miles before I even made it to the track. I parked at the school thinking I wouldn't feel like running anymore after the track workout, but Fleet Feet ended up being farther from the school than I thought. (I mapped the run starting from Fleet Feet). I ran the 7 at marathon pace which didn't give me the freshest of legs for the 600s, but hey, if I can run 7 at mp then 5x600 at about 9:30 avg., I must be making some inroads, right?

The track was pretty clear of snow. Not so the sidewalks. Sometimes I imagined I was Mardi climbing over piles of dirty, slushy, plowed snow. Only I was the slow version. ;)

I'm trying to think of a route where I can warmup with 3 miles ending at the track, then I could do the 3 miles again to finish up. That way, at least I stand a fighting chance of hitting a 5k pace of 8:30 or under on the 600s. My last 5k was June 16 with a finish of 25:59. That's faster than McMillan predicts based on my best 10k, 1/2 and marathon times. Of course, I'll try to beat it!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Patiently waiting for your 5k report!!!!