Saturday, March 15, 2008

Emerald Miles 5k

Today was my first race of the year. A 5k called Emerald Miles which benefits the Epilepsy Foundation of Cincinnati. Now in its eighth year, it attracts a fairly large crowd for a mid-March 5k -- especially considering that we had a foot of snow on the ground last Saturday. I woke up to heavy fog, but no rain. The temperature was about 38 degrees and really perfect for a race. My performance? Well, not a PR, but not terrible either. I guess every race can't be a PR! One fun part of the race was running across the Purple People Bridge which is a pedestrian only bridge that spans the Ohio River. I've never been on it before today, and it is too narrow to accomodate any of the big Cincy races. This race started in Newport, Ky right at the bridge entrance, crossed the river and ran through a riverfront park before heading back into Newport.

I finished in a respectable 26:10. Splits were 8:05, 8:25, 8:36, 7:25 for the last .14. My heartrate at the finish was 175 which is lower than it was last summer at the end of a 5k (189). I've done nothing but eat since finishing the race. Now I think I'll go run 3 more miles.

No comments: