Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hyde Park Blast

The only thing that got me to the finish was the cute t-shirt. With a DNF (on a 4 mile race at that) I wouldn't have allowed myself to wear it.

The Hyde Park Blast is a 4 mile pre July 4th road race, block party, and bike race in a day-long event that begins at 8:00AM with the 4 mile run/walk. Hyde Park is one of Cincinnati's hilliest neighborhoods and it is also one of the oldest and most scenic so you get the good with the bad. For example, here's the elevation chart -- notice for every up there's a nice down.

Photobucket


I totally love this race for the goodies. This year, because Hyde Park is such a trendy spot, the race went "green" and the "goody bag" was actually a reusable grocery bag filled with bars, coupons, and hand sanitizer. The finisher's gift was a green beach towel which is another reason I was glad I finished.

Today was the second day of my period which is usually the day that I'm incapacitated. But a friend was picking me up and I was nothing if not committed to giving it a try. We went for a little warmup run before the race and I had cramps right from the get-go. My friend suggested we just take off our chips and run an easy 4 miler, but I told her "no way." Heck, as long as we were here, we might as well race the thing!

So, I sucked it up and got going. With no ipod (I don't wear it to race) I only had two thoughts going through my head: 1) the t-shirt is cute so I've got to finish, and 2) the only bathrooms are back at the start/finish. I felt like my insides were falling out, but otherwise, everything else felt really good. I didn't push it so I probably could have finished faster, probably even my goal time or under, but for this race on this particular day just having that knowledge is enough. I was 7 seconds slower than last year and the course was different. I didn't feel spent at the end and I'm fairly satisfied. I'm definitely happy with my last fast mile which was up a .3 mile hill. I cranked up that hill!

If this race were tomorrow instead of today, I'd been posting about a PR I'm certain.

Mile 1 8:35
Mile 2 9:12
Mile 3 8:57
Mile 4 8:46
.17 7:25

Final Time: 35:49

1 comment:

Dan said...

urgh - sounds like a tough one. I was definitely sad about missing the Blast this year - along with the Heart Mini , this race was one of my favorites in Cincy!