Sunday, April 6, 2008

Boot Scoot Boogie

Before I start, I'm going to confess that I'm right now, at this very moment, listening to some song my daughter downloaded onto itunes by Billy Ray Cyrus and Miley Cyrus. Oh my God! I kind of like it! It's called "Ready, Set, Don't Go."

Which is just fine, because this morning's final 20 miler was kind of like the Boot Scoot Boogie. I felt pretty good going out. I went to the bike trail because the bathrooms are finally open and the trail is sort of flat (though it does have a lot of camber). I made a goal for myself because I realized this week that that was what was missing from my runs. I was so worried about just doing what was on the paper that I forgot to make a goal for every run. So this morning my goal was to keep every mile under 11:00. For the first 16, with the inexplicable exception of Mile 9, I was successful.

10:38, 10:34, 10:18, 10:25, 10:30, 10:19, 10:30, 10:28, 11:13 (huh?), 10:27, 10:18, 10:18, 10:24, 10:59, 10:27, 10:50.

It felt easy to keep the pace and I was relaxed. Gels at miles 5, 10, and 15.

My goal for the final 4 miles was to keep it under 10:00. Mostly I was successful.

9:51, 9:53, 10:07, 9:47. I finished up feeling pretty good, but sore from the faster finish. Total running time 3:28:29. Avg. pace 10:25.

As a reward I drove to the Red Sun Farm for some fresh eggs and chickens.

It's a little strange to think that it's time to taper for a marathon that I'm not all that excited about running. Sure, I'm looking at it as a test of my ability, but I don't feel the anticipation that I did for my other marathons. I have to keep in mind that I'm leaving for Poland and Israel two days after the marathon for The March of the Living which I am very excited about.

This week I ran 44.8 miles (5 miles less than scheduled)
YTD: 548 (I totally ROCK)!

2 comments:

b said...

The marathon is coming up soon Natalie and you are more than properly trained for it! Hope your taper is treating you very well :-)

Tea said...

ok...ummm....has this blog been abandoned? ;)