Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dogs Gone Wild

I am definitely sticking with the Pfitzinger program until the end. How else to tell if it works? The long runs, over and over, are just very time consuming to a slow runner like myself. I look at my messy house and think of what I could be doing if I wasn't spending endless hours running. But, oh well.

After cleaning the teenage boys bathroom -- which hadn't been properly cleaned since January (gross!) -- I hit the treadmill for 8 miles with 6x600 at 10k pace for my LT run. Maybe it should have been 5k pace, but I don't think I could have finished at that pace.

First 4.5 miles were at marathon pace: 9:55, 9:57, 9:59, 9:58, 5:11 for the .5. Funny that, with the exception of the .5 which was slower, these were on the treadmill set at 6.0. Hmm...

Then the intervals (90 sec. jog in between): HR between 169-171.

Appropos of the dog discussion on Hal Higdon earlier today, I let my dogs outside in between the 2nd and 3rd interval. Guess what? They escaped. Both of them. 2:30 I get a phone call: "I have Kimo and Olympia." They stuck together, fortunately, and wound up about a mile away but through the woods. It was about a 10 minute drive for me! Thank goodness a dog owner had the good sense to check for tags and hold onto them while he called me. I can't tell you the number of times I've called dog owners from the dog's tags, but it's unusual that someone does this. Definitely only a dog owner would understand how devasted we would be to lose our dogs.
Anyway, Kimo and Olympia are home safe, sound, and very dirty. Especially Kimo, the white Eskie. They are locked up in their kennels for the time being until I can shower them.

I hope they didn't terrorize any runners while they were on their adventure.

No comments: